Heartland Ranch is a working ranch that uses horses as a catalyst to bring about positive change. Every girl that comes to the Ranch is assigned her "own" horse. Girls are paired with a horse that will best benefit their unique personality and circumstances. Each girl is then taught the basics of horse care, which includes feeding, grooming, and communication skills.
The horse program at the Heartland Girls’ Ranch focuses not just on learning about horses, but also on what horses can teach us about ourselves. The girls’ learning and experience comes in many different ways. The girls are also able to participate in the following:
- Experiential learning and therapeutic activities
- Certified Horsemanship Association lessons with the option to gain certification
- Ranch & community horse shows
- Local Saddle Club activities
- A drill team that rides in parades
- Horse camping trips
- Assisting handicapped riders and community members with lessons
- Horse training sessions
- And of course, chores!